Mental Health College prep 101

Check out this slide show for information that can be helpful as you prepare to send your child off to college. Just click on download and then click on first slide and microphone icon.

Mental health College Prep 101-2 (pptx)


Help for Veterens


Addiction Center : support to military members seeking substance abuse recovery

Wounded Warrior Project

Resources for mental health struggles, PTSD, trauma


 If you are in crisis, please call 911, go to your nearest emergency room, or call 800.273.8255 (Para Español llame 888.628.9454). Veterans: Press "1" after you call, or go to Veterans Crisis Line to chat live with a crisis counselor at any time.  

Active Duty and Veterans Resource Center


  • The WWP Resource Center can assist you with information regarding WWP programs and services to meet your specific needs. Email the WWP Resource Center at or call 888.WWP.ALUM (888.997.2586).
  • Call the VA Health Benefits Service Center toll free at 1-877-222-VETS or explore My HealtheVet, which provides veterans help with VA health care information, services, and locations.
  • Call the Vet Center's national number at 1-800-905-4675 or visit online for more information or to find the location nearest you.
  • Locate non-veteran specific metal health services online through the Mental Health Services Locator hosted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
  • Take a look at Sidran. They offer a referral list of therapists, as well as a fact sheet on how to choose a therapist for PTSD.

Information in this section obtained from the website



Eating disorders Support/ Project Heal

Find out more

Support groups/ hotlines : resource guide

Find out more

Kacies Cause/ Heroin Addiction support

Find out more

Speakup Parent Coffee

Find out more

Types of Programs Defined



 Inpatient Care Inpatient Acute Care*  Intended for people who need 24-hour care and daily doctor visits in a hospital setting to stabilize psychiatric issues. Often recommended for people who aren’t able to care for themselves, or may be a risk to the safety and well-being of themselves or others. Can last for a few days to several weeks . Goal is to stabilize a crisis . Includes group therapy and meeting with a team of professionals, including a psychiatrist.  A family session is important prior to discharge to discuss aftercare plans 

Partial Hospitalization Program ( PHP)

 Partial Hospitalization : Intense structured program ,typically consists of 5-7 days per week for 6 hours each day. Similar to IOP, includes group, individual, and family therapy when appropriate.  Often includes an evaluation by a psychiatrist, who may prescribe or adjust medications . Often recommended for those who have actively participated in lower levels of care, yet continue to experience serious emotional and behavioral problems. Beneficial for those at risk of   hospitalization, or as a step-down for those who have been hospitalized Inpatient Care  

Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)

 Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP):  Structured treatment that teaches how to manage stress, and better cope with emotional and behavioral issues.  May include group, individual, and family therapy when appropriate. Consists of frequent visits (usually 3-5 days per week) and an average of 3-4 hours of treatment per day for a set period of time (often 4-6 weeks, depending on the program) . Many programs are structured so individuals may work and continue with normal daily routines. The advantage of this type of program is that people have the support of the program, along with other people working on similar issues 

Individual and group Therapy

 Individual counseling – includes counseling sessions with a therapist. 

Medication evaluation and management - includes visits with a psychiatrist or nurse practitioner to determine if medication would be helpful 

 Group therapy – includes weekly group sessions with other people with mental health issues. In group therapy, people often learn from one another’s experiences.  

The above inforamtion obtained from Cigna Healthcare

Mental Health Professionals defined




  • Psychiatrist – A medical doctor with special training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional illnesses.  A psychiatrist can prescribe medication, but they often do not counsel patients.
  • Child/Adolescent Psychiatrist – A medical doctor with special training in the diagnosis and treatment of emotional and behavioral problems in children.  Child and Adolescent psychiatrists can also precribe medication; however, they may not provide psychotherapy.
  • Psychiatric or Mental Health Nurse Practitioner – A registered nurse practitioner with a graduate degree and specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional illness. 



  • Clinical Psychologist – A psychologist with a doctoral degree in psychology from an accredited/designated program in psychology.  Psychologists are trained to make diagnoses and provide individual and group therapy. 
  • School Psychologist – A psychologist with an advanced degree in psychology from an accredited/designated program in School Psychology.  School Psychologists are trained to make diagnoses, provide individual and group therapy, and work with school staff to maximize efficiency in the schools setting.



  • Licensed Professional Counselor – A counselor with a masters degree in psychology, counseling or a related field. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group 
  • counseling. 
  • Mental Health Counselor – A counselor with a masters degree and several years of supervised clinical work experience. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling. 
  • Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor – Counselor with specific clinical training in alcohol and drug abuse. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group couseling. 
  • Pastoral Counselor – clergy with training in clinical pastoral education. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling. nseling. 



  • Nurse Psychotherapist –  registered nurse who is trained in the practice of psychiatric and mental health nursing. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling. 
  • Marital and Family Therapist – counselor with a masters degree, with special education and training in marital and family therapy. Trained to diagnose and provide individual and group counseling. 

Social Worker


  • Clinical Social Worker – A counselor with a masters degree in social work from an accredited graduate program. Trained to make diagnoses, provide individual and group counseling, and provide case management and advocacy; usually found in the hospital setting.

Peer Specialist


  • Peer Specialist– counselor with lived experience with mental health or substance use conditions.  Assists clients with recovery by recognizing and developing strengths, and setting goals.  Many peer support programs require several hours of training.

Information for this section obtained from

Things I have learned along the way......

the good, the bad, and the ugly.......


Bryn Mawr Hospital: has inpatient psychiatric unit with physicians in house for Emergency consults if necessary. Use video chat as well to assess patient

Brandywine Hospital: No

Chester County Hospital: No, there is a psychiatrist on call and sees patients in ER via video chat when deemed necessary

Paoli Hospital: No (learned that the hard way)

Lankenau Hospital: No

-Very few therapists and/or psychiatrists accept insurance. They will provide receipt for you to submit. CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AND GET YOUR COVERAGE INFORMATION AND LIST OF IN NETWORK PROVIDERS.

-Not all therapists are created equal, it is very important to look into their areas of expertise, find the right personality fit, and check their availability.

- It may take several attempts until you find the therapist that is the right fit 

-There are many different types of therapy; in-patient , "partial inpatient" (out-patient extended day program), weekly sessions, bi weekly, support groups, etc.


- In PA, most children under age 19 with serious emotional & behavioral  concerns will qualify for services covered by Medical Assistance, regardless of family income.

 Find out more at: and


- There is a medical test that you can get that determines which medications are better suited to your genetic makeup.  It is a simple cheek swab that is sent away and analyzed.  You get a complete report listing drugs by classification showing which will have potential for more side effects and which will be more therapeutic.  Many out there , I just know of Genecept Assay.


Call your insurance company and KNOW YOUR COVERAGE, ask for a list of IN NETWORK the process of submitting for reimbursement for out of network providers and what the insurance company needs for documentation (ICD-10 codes, etc)